Skip to main content

Woman March 3: Pretty



,Little girl, happy voice, hope is the word, see something pretty
Daddy's Girl, going to be great, happy heart, so you think I am pretty
,Painful cramps, broken heart, busy mind, don't know that I am pretty
,Big nose, brown skin, brown eyes, nice girl, do you think I am pretty
Flat tummy, long legs, thick glasses, slow speech, do you think I am pretty,
No food, bitter tea, first class, Glass smile, so I can be pretty,
Big bed, late night, hot breath, hate myself, but do you think I am pretty,
Smart mind, quick speech, read all, don't matter, do you think I am pretty,
Great heart, nice smile, your girl, do you think I am pretty,
Hate me, love me, leave me, but do you think I am pretty,
.Found my myself, happy again, hopeful again, so I know I am pretty

 - YD


"Whatever role we had to play, whether it was the tom boy, the wall flower or the blooming beauty, We took it on like  champs"


I think it came from the fact that no one really paid attention (except my mother since she had only 2 girls anyway) being a middle child an all that. Pretty was not a word I had to deal with until I made it into mixed school at age 13.

Let me just tell you that this is a very complicated age to throw a girl into the midst of young girls who happen to be discovering themselves in the midst of boys. The girls were not so friendly, neither were the boys to think about it, but I was comfortable until I had to assume the role of pretty girl to get attention from boys (stop judging we all did this).

Thinking back now, all the constant comparing of yourself to other people and the worrying that you will never grow into the beauty you hope to be are not things that should be mixing with hormones.

But we grew up and we became women with women issues, from worries on how to get the boy you like to speak to you, to worries on how to get the man you like to speak to you and worries on how to kick ass at the office or in your chosen business or profession.

From how to find a way to sneak out to the party to how to find a way to sneak out of the party so people will take you seriously.

From how to steal your mum's nail polish and paint the nails with no one noticing, to swallowing vitamins to get the nails to what they used to be.

From how to be slim and pretty to how to... oh wait still be slim and pretty. 

From how to get other people to like you to how to get yourself to like you.

Our problems change shape and grow with us but if there is one thing that no one can give you that you realise as you go from girl to woman it's that pretty has always been inside you and only you can bring it out.

Cheers to all the Pretty Girls: May you grow to be Pretty Women who bring life to all around you.



xoxo









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

An Ode to Men

                                                   I love Men, yep you read right, however, lately the guys have been getting the short end of the stick. While sometimes this happens for balance, we sometimes punish them very unfairly. It's unfair because some men now are more for equality that even the women I mean if it means they can enjoy a free ride why the heck not? but that's not what this is about. This post is to remind us why we still love them. Just a short ride down memory lane: Some of my earliest memories as a child are of my eldest brother; how he used to go to the room and hide with me when the cartoon "animal crackers" came on. Nothing scared me like animal crackers and while he wasn't scared of animal crackers, he just knew I was afraid so he will take me to the room to hide while he watched the door to make sure that no monste...

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...