Skip to main content

Vals through the ages



                                  


Before SS1, Valentine's day was a day when my Father made us all dress to the nines and he took us to the "swankyest" restaurant in whatever town we were in usually Abuja or Calabar. Fast forward to senior secondary I changed schools from an all girls boarding to a mixed boarding. I became aware of what the holiday meant (the whole lovers situation). In an all girls school, Vals day was just a low key day for "school daughters and mothers". In the mixed school though it was a whole other monster. The night before, girls stayed awake talking about all the boys that liked them and who they will be expecting gifts from. Come morning, girls will go to class holding their breath hoping that the boy they have a crush on has finally grown a pair and put something nice in their locker. This day also was also the unfortunate day that boys picked to play practical jokes on girls like put mud cakes or rotten food in beautiful packages. But it was all in good fun.
                              

In university, girls had become aware. We knew what was up and the boys used to go out of their way to make things happen. Poor boys will be saving their pocket money from being of the semester so that their babe can brag to her friends and maybe they can get some that night too. I had one boyfriend who expected me to pat him on the back and say "nice job daddy" because he got me a small teddy bear (I didn't understand why a semi grown woman ;) needed this particular gift) or some other weird thing along those lines; like a mug that read "happy valentine's day" with a plastic flower in it. I mean my expectations were low but never that low. I can bet you they still sell those ugly teddies. I found this really annoying because I was coming from a background of non alcoholic wine (blah), cakes, chocolate, bracelets and wrist watches in my exboyfriend archives.

Before I go on though, what's all this about women receiving gifts on Vals day and not giving back. LMAO we don't even try. I can count on one hand the number of times I have heard a woman say what do I get my BF/Hubby/etc for Valentine's day. LOL #Valssosexist. Ladies we need to step up ... or not.

When you are now a single working or serving girl and looking to mingle Vals can be a drag. All your girl friends will be flying here and there and spending the night here and there. So here is my ultimate Valentine's day coping tip for the single Spend the time with family or friends. My father has always been a spectacular valentine so I can never really say I spent it alone.
The way I see it though, you can eat chocolate on any day and drink wine on any day, go to dinner and do special things on any day so Valentine's day is not really about the love you have for that one person it's about all the people you love around you. So besides Christmas and Easter whose importance is established for obvious reasons, my favourite day is the "Festival of Koyona (My birthday)". That is a day that is not up for any sort of discussion.

But I can let valentine's day slide because it's like that guy you meet that keeps telling you of all the miracles you will experience when he gets you alone. Then you get together and you are like I could have had a much better time at my dentist.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you who read my messy point of view I gats real Love for you.

                   
xo.

Comments

  1. I give gifts oh but we re reviewing our economic situation in the country so I gats to be a good citizen....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i have given only once or twice. its just not something i remember.

      Delete
  2. I don't give gifts. I stopped giving in secondary school. Since my hubby is such a bad gifter, I have an excuse. Plus I never really knew what d fuss was about anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha so honest. so Evil.... I think its probably the way we were brought up. it honestly never occurred to me to give before. Now its just a source of guilt but i never get around to it.

      Delete
  3. Ahh the secondary school valentine stories. Those were the days mehnn.. when it was puppy love. Cards. Chocolate and stuffed animals. Now that we have instagram, aint nobody want those moinmoin things. We want ferrari and bling so we can show off on facebook, instagram etc. Haha

    Anyway. I'm just going to read and listen to valentine stories like I did last year and the previous years. No vals for me. I've never really had any spectacular vals day experience. It's just like any other day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahhahaha nice write up, before i came across this piece i was just thinking have i ever gotten a vals gift before i got marrief, thought so hard and i could not come up with one, my plans was to ask hubby when he's back what we got me while we where dating cause really the only thing I remember is my engagment on this same date, and really with the way the economy is im not getting anything for him, maybe he will get for me im really indifferent i just know i'll be spending the night away from the kids come feb 14th

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm take care oh. No wound oh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's talk about SEX

I have been on twitter since I woke up. I am currently on holiday so I have the time :) there is a conversation about rape and rape culture is Nigeria but I will go unto that later. Now though I want to talk about one of the 7 wonders of the World: Sex. Good for you if you think it is and wait and see if you think it isn't LOL. Sex has always had a different sort of connotation in our country always so shrouded in mystery. People don't talk about it, if you talk about it you are bad. First of all let's note that I do not write any blog post that I will not be proud of my daughter reading one day. so I am going to write this post as I will want my child to understand it. What we need in this world now is not more articles telling us how to have sex, LOL these are useful but somehow, we kind of find that out on our own. What we need are real articles telling us about the ramifications and emotional entanglements of the entire glorious affair, and more reason why...

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...