Skip to main content

Ageing






Hello everyone, hope you are having a great week etc. I am so excited because  I am a year older today I do not have a problem with saying my age I am turning a few years older than 20 I have done this calculation over and over again so that I am sure that I am not adding anymore years LoL. Besides the scaring of child birth, I feel the same as I did at 20, honestly. I would have put up my age but my mother keeps insisting that a lady doesn't share these things. I am trying to be one.

I wish age was nothing but a number but it really isn't, it's great when a 50 year old looks 23 (as If) but you see you have seen 50 years, 1 long life time with 50 different years of experiences so don't say it doesn't matter.

Getting older is fantastic, you know more than you knew before and most times you forget what you knew before. I am old enough now to make my own decisions but this does not always work in  my favour,  don't you just miss the days when people made the tough calls for you then you could blame them if something went wrong? Now you bear the full force of the mistakes that you make, if you make one bad call you bear the consequences. Now you understand why your mother kept shouting "No", every time and saying "because I said so", I know it's hard to accept but she knows better.

I know that people are a bit wary of aging there are people who are actually afraid of it, precautions taken to slow aging include umbrellas every day so no sun exposure, thousand of Naira on skin creams promising everlasting youth, eating only leaves so that the organs do not age and reading all the millions of articles around on how to age gracefully. We can't fool nature though. All the loss of elasticity and light in the skin will happen somehow. I guess we need to do all these things so that we feel, somehow we are in control.
Here are some things I have learnt in my time here (note I am not old yet but I know a few things):

Money is something, don't let anyone fool you. You need money for everything but money is not everything.

Nothing is better than a good bra and good under wear, seriously never take it for granted.
That tummy will not flatten itself, you can't out exercise a bad diet neither can you exercise away genes darling. Family is everything, water too. You will like your younger brothers one day and your elder brother too. You haven't met all the people that will shape your life yet.  Do not take your friends for granted. Daughters are everything so are sons (I hope to find out one day). Boys are fantastic men are better ;D . It's not all in your head some of it is real, LOVING IS LIVING and so is giving and finally, this one is for us kids of this age  :)  "ain't nobody business but you and your babe" okay? Over sharing is possible.

I am not afraid of getting older, we spent all our teenage years asking people to treat us older, now we are older we hope people stop calling us Ma and call us by name, but that's the circle of life. I need to get all this experience so I can tell all the people whose lives I will touch my stories and it will make a difference. 


So this is to all the September babies! May you have those journeys where you touch lives and stop living in fear and may you be an inspiration to others, as the age train chases us and we have still not broken the bank let God give us the strength to keep trying because our dreams are valid. Happy Birthday.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

An Ode to Men

                                                   I love Men, yep you read right, however, lately the guys have been getting the short end of the stick. While sometimes this happens for balance, we sometimes punish them very unfairly. It's unfair because some men now are more for equality that even the women I mean if it means they can enjoy a free ride why the heck not? but that's not what this is about. This post is to remind us why we still love them. Just a short ride down memory lane: Some of my earliest memories as a child are of my eldest brother; how he used to go to the room and hide with me when the cartoon "animal crackers" came on. Nothing scared me like animal crackers and while he wasn't scared of animal crackers, he just knew I was afraid so he will take me to the room to hide while he watched the door to make sure that no monste...

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...