Skip to main content

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.

       Image result for death by technology
       Picture 1

The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning. 

I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the crazy urge to share it on the twitterverse. 

Technology is trying to kill me.

What about the feeling of dread that starts in the pit of your belly when you see that your battery is about to die or when you send a message while you were angry  and then realise that you misinterpreted the other persons message (This one happened recently). In real life interactions you have the privilege of observing nuances in a person that tell you how the conversation is going. You can tell when they are angry or mad and so and so. You can tell sarcasm and when they are just plain taking the piss. 
With the phone it has become a fine art. Are you giving me attitude? Why are you sending the simple smile emoji as opposed to the wide smile emoji? Why "LOL" instead of "LMFAO". It's so tedious. I honestly thank God that I am not dating, having to act with guys like things are cool and I am not crazy when in fact I am a total pshyco.
 
Technology is trying to kill us.

                     Image result for obsessed with technology
                     Picture 2

We might wake up one day where people are making choices to love their phones over human beings and it will not be weird to us. We will be okay because we have kinda been there. 

What about the tech that tracks my activity.  I have this polar activity watch, it counts the calories from any activity I do and it has a heart monitor I strap to my chest. I realised the other day that it had died. I have not been able to exercise normally after that. What is the point if I can't count the calories that drinking this cup of water or eating this piece of cake will burn?  What about the fit-bits and other pedometers  counting our steps.  I know that there are people out there who see no need to walk when they forget these things at home.
Technology is taking over our lives and we are just letting it. When did a social media happy birthday trump a bloody phone call?  Even in my family we do this with each other.  You don't call your friend but you figure since their profile pictures are changing that the person is alive and well, we are all guilty of this.  Do you really know the number of friends you have on Facebook? Recently someone sent me a friend request I tried to accept it and Facebook told me that the person has reached their "friend limit" how many of  his Facebook friends does he even know? Lets not even get started with the fact that we cant even have dates or socialize without our phones. 

Well this is our life. Maybe we will go full circle and one day just like the movie "Surrogate” we will return to square one. Writing letters on paper, telephone calls and actually talking face to face.

I sometimes ask myself  “na you be this?"  As I open my eyes in the morning before I do anything, I turn my phone on to see if it's done charging. That's how I fall into the rabbit hole, I return messages, look up my Facebook page or twitter or Instagram or now the new monster WhatsApp. I forget to pray or even look at my bible. It gets too much but would I have it any other way?
                                            

                                             Image result for obsessed with technology
                                               Picture 3

Please share your death by technology stories with me. Let me post them up on the blog



references for pictures

Comments

  1. Death by technology uhmmmm...... So as usual I was taking a dump and obviously going through my phone when I done I did the usual washed my hands and noticed I needed to flush again, so I dropped my phone and the toilet tank flushed and the instant I decided to pick up my phone it slipped and went straight in, my heart sank, I was heart broken, I was sad, immediately without thinking my hands went straight in out of panic I almost wanted to rinse the phone but I thought no that's wrong the screen was doing this crazy dancing I reach for my towel started cleaning and praying along side, then I hated iPhone for not having a battery I could just open n dry out well, and I remembered o you can put your phone in rice, quickly ran downstairs got a bowl n did all the drama o well the rest weeks passed by and I felt so out of world not having my phone by my side but hey thanks to computer village boys my phone is back up and running (In between I really don't know if the rice thing worked)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha. OMG without a thought your had will follow. I can only imagine the depression after. Lol.nice one will definitely share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...

How Old Is Old Enough: Marriage

I have been writing this post for weeks, one reason being that I have to earn a living the other that I had momentarily lost my Mojo (juice). Being the deep 21st century individual that I am (Thank you, Thank you), I made an attempt to research for this post. I typed into google "when is the right time to get married" and the top two search results were kinda funny. One was from  Nairaland the other from the UK Independent. The Nairaland one said that its about 18 onward. The UK Independent one based its write up on the results of some scientific research which said about 28 to 32. Wiki How even has an 11 step process.                                    When can anyone really say they are ready for marriage? is it when you have been with the same man for a long time or when you think your biological clock is ticking or when other people tell you that you are ready for marriage....