Skip to main content

Who Reputation Help


                          
Image result for a good name
"A good name is better than riches" it is said, but who reputation help?

In a county where we give awards to men and women we know lack integrity just because they are rich. Where the rules that apply to the 1 % don't apply to others...so who reputation help please?

The problem is that the saying is mostly true. A good name is better than riches. There are real life instances that support this and we know them.

In life, nothing holds more influence for people than the word of somebody they trust. Real life is hardly influenced by Facebook posts or social media coverage. People only refer people who they like and who are good at what they do whether they met them on social media or not.

I met a staff member at a clients organisation and the first thing I noticed right off was the bad attitude. Whenever I went back to that office, I did my best to stay out of this staff way and not have any dealings with the person if I could control it. When I did in fact have to deal with the individual, I kept if as brief and as formal as possible even though the organisation was pretty informal.

Subsequently I was called on to do a staff audit and while I tried my hardest to keep my personal feelings out of the equations, I couldn't help the fact that this staff's bad attitude was well known throughout the organisation and they were the first person the team leader recommended for a reshuffle (usually a precursor to a sack).

The attitude was bad not only to teammates and co-workers but also to clients. It brought to mind the ‘stinky diver' tag line from my childhood "a navy commander with an attitude as bad as his odour".  The staff didn’t have a bad odour of course but her attitude did in fact stink.


People may not say it but they remember and nothing is ever harder to forgive than a bad attitude

On the other hand, kindness is the only trait that brings good karma. Your good name is more valuable than any deposit you can make in the bank and that's why people are very conscious of how they are portrayed. That is why gossiping is a sin and slander is a punishable offence. If it didn't mean anything no one will mind.

You remember when someone stands by their word you can say "when she says it she will do it". You remember when someone is honest and you want to work with that person again you say "She is very honest in her deals I will rather work with the person I know", because a good name builds people's confidence in you.

So who reputation help? Well all of US if you ask me.

We can't all be the best at everything. We can't be the prettiest or the sharpest. But we can try to be the kindest and the most honest. The one who people remember keep their word. We can try to be the hardest worker, or the go getter.

We can try to be remembered as somebody who people have faith in and want to meet again.

Don't mess with your good name. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

How Old Is Old Enough: Marriage

I have been writing this post for weeks, one reason being that I have to earn a living the other that I had momentarily lost my Mojo (juice). Being the deep 21st century individual that I am (Thank you, Thank you), I made an attempt to research for this post. I typed into google "when is the right time to get married" and the top two search results were kinda funny. One was from  Nairaland the other from the UK Independent. The Nairaland one said that its about 18 onward. The UK Independent one based its write up on the results of some scientific research which said about 28 to 32. Wiki How even has an 11 step process.                                    When can anyone really say they are ready for marriage? is it when you have been with the same man for a long time or when you think your biological clock is ticking or when other people tell you that you are ready for marriage....

Learning Alot of Nothing: The Reality of Nigeria's education

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I have been out of town and very busy trying to get some things going. The reality of our hustle. Hope you are all doing good and enjoyed the  holiday. So over the weekend I was reading a couple of things about the Nigerian education sector and since schools  just closed I had the opportunity to talk to some of my young friends, nieces and nephews who are still in school. How many of us thought when we were young and back in school, how important what we were doing was. I love education, I love a chance to learn new things and I have the kind of mind that hardly ever forgets. Not that I was always first in my class or something but I was a good student, and I thought what I was learning will change the world.  Matter of fact is that it didn't. most of the things that I actually use in my life now are things I learned outside the strictures of the formal education system. How is it that Nigerian  graduates amount to abou...