Skip to main content

Parenting 101: Tough Love

                                             





John has always had to work for what he gets. Even when he was 10 years old his father made him take jobs to augment his pocket money or buy a toy he wanted. Nothing was handed to him unless he has done absolutely well in school.  His parents were regular middle class and he grew up in a regular middle class neighbourhood  not missing anything. When he graduated from university, his father sent him off for his Msc. he came back and couldn't find a job. His father tolerated him for 2 years after that after which he gave John an ultimatum.  His father gave him 100k and sent him on his jolly way.  3 months later he got a job in another town through people he knew.

Ade was an only son. His father loved him very much. He never really had to work for anything his parents kind of handled all that work stuff. He was posted to a place close to his home by a friend of his father. Even his job his daddy had to hand hold him to get it. Everything was handled by his father. When things got bad and he needed to take care of rent or fees his father kind of a handled it. So when  real life happened and Ade couldn't hold his house together because he didn't have real life skills that he needed his father just took him back in and he was content to just be there. While his father just kept providing for him.

Who loves his son more?

In Nigeria our parents don't throw us out of the house when we turn 18. If our parents can handle it financially they just keep  caring for us. Maybe it comes from a life of not really having or whatever else. That's just our culture.  Now I am not necessarily referring to the beating you receive as a child because all that does not a real adult make it just keep a child in line sometime permanently sometimes not.  What I am referring to is the tough love it takes for us to build grown and responsible adults in our country.
 
As parents how are we making our children accountable for themselves? Especially when we can afford it. Does your child just walk up to you and collect an allowance then finishes it and collects more. Then leaves your house to university and cannot understand the value of money while you strive and strive in the sun to provide.
I cannot say I really understood the value of money till I got into university  but I think I am just one of those people who is always aware of money. Nothing scarier than being broke. So I am not really a big spender. 
It's not only in financial matters but being able to love your child in a balanced way teaching them that actions have equal and sometimes opposite reactions will make them aware of life around them. How do you teach your child or if you are like me whose child is too young to understand it how do you teach a child to be responsible for the stuff around them and how do we find the balance where your child is aware of your love and knows that all the things you allow them go through are because you love them and they will be better for it.
 
After all its iron that sharpens iron.

                                       Image result for tough love quotes tumblr
xoxo.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...

Let's talk about SEX

I have been on twitter since I woke up. I am currently on holiday so I have the time :) there is a conversation about rape and rape culture is Nigeria but I will go unto that later. Now though I want to talk about one of the 7 wonders of the World: Sex. Good for you if you think it is and wait and see if you think it isn't LOL. Sex has always had a different sort of connotation in our country always so shrouded in mystery. People don't talk about it, if you talk about it you are bad. First of all let's note that I do not write any blog post that I will not be proud of my daughter reading one day. so I am going to write this post as I will want my child to understand it. What we need in this world now is not more articles telling us how to have sex, LOL these are useful but somehow, we kind of find that out on our own. What we need are real articles telling us about the ramifications and emotional entanglements of the entire glorious affair, and more reason why...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...