Skip to main content

Giving

I have been thinking a lot lately about the act of giving and what it does for us. Before I start with all my usual English, I want to say a big thank you to everyone who reads and refers the blog. This is lounge time for me so it nice to know that people are interested in what I have to say (since I like to talk or type in this case).


So, as I was saying; I have been thinking about the act of giving and what it does for human beings. I have met a lot of generous people in my life and its fascinating to see that the more people give of themselves, the more they have to give. It's like that part of the bible that says those who want to save themselves will lose themselves and so forth. Initially I used to think that it was an identity issue but I realised its more of how much of yourself you are willing to give to others.

In today's world the idea of selfishness is pushed forward more with people constantly talking about how they want to fend for themselves only because no one is fending for them, I understand that the reality of the usual Nigerian life is harsh with constant struggle to stay above the responsibilities we have. Working, sleeping and all the "ings" we do to give us purpose.

I remember something I read in a book , a marriage counsellor talking to a group of women about how you give to your spouse, care for him and so on, one of the participants was clearly irritated she jumped up to ask while you are busy trying to care for your husband who is caring for you, the counsellor quickly replied "he would of course".

People that give more tend not to lack because there are other people who will give to them. For example you want people to love you but all you put out is negativity, sarcasm and very bad energy as if people don't already have the problems they have, then you go around whining about how no one cares for you. If you want love, give love, if you want someone to care, then care for someone. You can't plant yam and expect to harvest ugwu. What you give is usually what you get, it's what oyibo call 'karma'.

I don't think I am a generous person, I know I don't like to share, it used to be so bad at a point I didn't like sharing music, like if I found a song I really liked I didn't give it out, I just didn't do sharing well, which was odd as I come from a huge family and all we do is share lol but we go through life and meet people who challenge us where all else failed and it isn't so hard anymore. Love just surrounds a giving person. So I have resolved to be better at giving, giving people who need, not just material things but emotional also like but love, care and friendship. Not just paying  the 10% to the church and locking up, but actually dedicating myself to be a change agent in my community.

You too can be more giving.

XO



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...

Let's talk about SEX

I have been on twitter since I woke up. I am currently on holiday so I have the time :) there is a conversation about rape and rape culture is Nigeria but I will go unto that later. Now though I want to talk about one of the 7 wonders of the World: Sex. Good for you if you think it is and wait and see if you think it isn't LOL. Sex has always had a different sort of connotation in our country always so shrouded in mystery. People don't talk about it, if you talk about it you are bad. First of all let's note that I do not write any blog post that I will not be proud of my daughter reading one day. so I am going to write this post as I will want my child to understand it. What we need in this world now is not more articles telling us how to have sex, LOL these are useful but somehow, we kind of find that out on our own. What we need are real articles telling us about the ramifications and emotional entanglements of the entire glorious affair, and more reason why...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...