Skip to main content

The Fashion Monster





Today lets talk about the Fashion, Fads  and style.
I will start by defining both. From the various things I have read, I will conclude that fashion is a manner of doing something or the latest or newest way of doing something (my extensive reading ends with wiki... just in-case you were wondering). A fad on the other hand is an intense of widely spread enthusiasm for something. A craze if you like and its usually short lived. Style on the other hand is the manner or way in which something is done.

I have been wondering what the idea with all this fads are, esp now that we have social media, everything becomes a craze people do all sorts of things to be seen as ''in Fashion" university Students using their school fees to fund shopping spree and have stuff that's not practical, Today I read on LIB how 3 guys who want to look like big boys go and shop lift from boutiques when they could be using their time to find money to eat. Its not only in fashion that we have lost our individuality but even in  ideas and ways that people are now thinking. Standards are dropping and less and less is being expected of our generation young people are beginning to lack originality even those with loads of talent.

We notice that people who are timeless rarely follow the popular ways of doing things,  in clothing or in thinking, they blaze trails that others follow or the just simply do their thing minding their own business, while everyone else shapes them selves to a particular way. We see this alot in Nigeria, you notice that people with money and style rarely spend their money on flashy stuff you will notice they just simple do what makes sense and makes them happy. The Flashy ones on the other hand want people to notice mostly cos they have nothing else to offer.

Image result for what's groupthink in psychologyI started writing this post concentrating only on the clothes we wear and all that but as I progressed I realised that fashion, fads and style apply to everything we do.
as much as the pool of public opinion is a good thing, it can also create what psychologist call groupthink, when a group of people loose their individuality and all start thinking like the most alike so they don't seem like outcasts, or so they can be liked.

The internet has created an avenue for all our issues to be aired in public and we have taken this as an opportunity but some of us have given up the gift of ourselves to fit in. Now people judge themselves more and more by other people's standards refusing to realise that the smartest internet users only put out what they want you to see, can you really know if that your friend from secondary school in being honest in those posts on facebook? 

our happiness is relying more and more on public acceptance and that's just wrong. Like the popular saying goes "if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything''.

So now instead of concentrating on the fashion and fads of the day, maybe we will be of more help if we contribute our uniqueness to whats out there, so other people see a different side of the story instead if just following the fashion monster where it leads; could be in the way you dress, act or think. You can''t stand out if you are just like everybody else. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...

Let's talk about SEX

I have been on twitter since I woke up. I am currently on holiday so I have the time :) there is a conversation about rape and rape culture is Nigeria but I will go unto that later. Now though I want to talk about one of the 7 wonders of the World: Sex. Good for you if you think it is and wait and see if you think it isn't LOL. Sex has always had a different sort of connotation in our country always so shrouded in mystery. People don't talk about it, if you talk about it you are bad. First of all let's note that I do not write any blog post that I will not be proud of my daughter reading one day. so I am going to write this post as I will want my child to understand it. What we need in this world now is not more articles telling us how to have sex, LOL these are useful but somehow, we kind of find that out on our own. What we need are real articles telling us about the ramifications and emotional entanglements of the entire glorious affair, and more reason why...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...