Skip to main content

NO!



Photo by Harits Mustya Pratama on Unsplash


Unless you have been under a rock, you know about the #metoo and #timesup movements.
I am Nigerian so somehow in my mind it's happening across a sea that requires expensive tickets and hard work to get papers for assess so it's kind of abstract, in a periphery, not for me.
But I think it's relevant here too. Women here should be banding together to stop this confusion there seems to be about consent.

We all know someone that has been in funny confusing situations like this. Maybe it’s even a personal experience.
I know I have been; there are a few that stand out.
One of those university holidays I came home and for lack of anything better to do I agreed to go out with a guy friend of mine.  I knew he was interested in dating but I had seriously friend zoned him. He took me out and at the end of the date (note a date to me) he wanted to make out in the car.
I clearly remember saying no, but it seemed to me as if the no I was saying was just another version of ‘try harder’ to him. He kept insisting and we kept playing the docking the heads to find the lips game. I just was not interested in kissing but the car was locked and I didn’t want to create a scene as we were parked in front of my parent's house. Just so I could leave the car and go safely inside the house, I did eventually let him kiss me.

Oh the stories I could tell on this issue.
I once had a man cry and beg me once, but in this instance what he wanted I could not give sadly. If I could bend just a little, I know I would have found a way to accommodate him, and being  quite young I kept asking myself if the problem was with me (as far as he was concerned, the problem was with me and I was heartless).

Very recently I was driving home at night and got pulled over by a police officer. It was a great day and we had just completed work that was overwhelming I was in a good mood. So I treated the officer politely. I think I may have even smiled and hailed him back when he greeted "ahh welldone sister, before I knew it Mr. officer had leaned into my car window and was touching my arm telling me how beautiful he thinks I am. This was confusing to me. What about my demeanor made him feel this was okay? Who knows the kind of "kube" uncle had inhaled that night. I kept a levelled and polite voice so he let me go and I drove off. I cannot lie I felt molested and I actually figured right after that it was my fault. That evening I replayed the whole thing in my head over and over trying to see what I did to encourage it.
Nothing.

A man once told me that to some men when a woman says "No" it's kind of a turn on, it's like she is playing hard to get and wants you to try harder.  This is true that somehow some men still believe this.

How many times have you had to give a guy a soft landing because you don't want to hurt his feelings meanwhile he is insisting that he knows what it is you want so you have to accommodate him.

This disregard has even transmitted into our workplace that when some men work on a team with a woman, they either talk over her or try to explain her own thought process to her, like she is a trouble maker and she should be more accommodating using condescending words like "you need to calm down ma" or "you won't get it" or "that's how women are". And they don't feel they are doing anything wrong. Holding us at our ankles, from an early age we are steeped in the bucket of complacency so we can be a certain way more accommodating and nice and most times this is to our own detriment.

It's time to call a spade a spade.

Men, boys need to join the conversation and not feel attacked by it. Interactions between sexes need to be more balanced and both parties need to feel heard and understood.


If she says NO just take it as NO. Let her be the one to tell you her no was a game. Don't go around assuming these things. If one girl seemed to like it, it doesn't mean all the women you meet will.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...