Skip to main content

WHO WANTS TO BE A POLITICIAN







You want to be a politician? Step right up…

Sola wants to be governor of her state one day but Sola has no money to support a dream like that especially since Sola is also the Primary provider for her whole family. Sola works 2 jobs but she is driven,  has a plan and based on her experience working in her community she creates a worksheet on how to send more children to school without bankrupting the local government, a plan to increase farm yields and stop herders from trampling the crops of the villagers. She starts working for her LGA council and one day she takes her plan to her boss to show him and explain how she wants to implement her plans. After he finishes giving her a lecture on the inexperience of her youth, he proceeds to tell her the long line of men she has to sleep with or pay first for such a dream to come true. The fact that the President passed a bill does not change her situation, there are still older and wealthier men and women who want this position or have someone who they want to support to take it.   How do we take her to where she needs to be.

So the not too young to run bill was passed. Hurray, finally my family will chop a piece of this national cake. “It have do” for hard work and dues-paying it's time to flex.

But first: I am excited about this bill it means that hopefully in the near future the leaders representing me will be able to understand my #problems as I rant them on twitter she or he will be able to even get it when I insert my dreams for leadership in a 30 second Instastory that will disappear shortly... They are young hopefully passionate about their communities and the people and can do what it takes to lead listen and impact.

However, it’s my biggest hope that young people engage at the grass root I don’t want to see young men in causal Friday caftan flocking to Abuja to disrupt the already building traffic or young women with social media activism assuming that that is the political experience. I don’t want leaders who aspire to it because it’s the family business or their parents want them to but because they have a plan,  can lead understand what leadership is. I want our leaders to be ready to do the grunge work inspire their teams to do more go to the villages and talk to the constituents stay grounded, travel the roads visit their markets not only to get votes during elections but during their tenure. I want young people because I am hoping young people will care more; they can fight the apathy of their predecessors and care more! They will understand the real effects of being ignored and marginalised.  I want our impact to be bottom up; where the change is felt directly by people in the rural areas because truth be told more of us live below the poverty line where development has meaning and is sensibly based on things they care about food, infrastructure healthcare. Not top down the way it has always been. 

This thing could go both ways. We could see the same type of leaders but younger, same lack of ideologies same selfishness same greed. Or we see a new wave of driven creative and caring selfless leaders’ ready to push us ready to work the system to the advantage of the masses until we take down the system. 

So if you are the first set and in your mind, you are thinking its time for the national cake to reach my yard then, the raffle is open find a Godfather and fire away. If you are of the second set please come forward too but know that your work is cut out for you. You will face opposition and criticism so strong you will want to give up but the power of your purpose has to surpass your pride.  

We have seen politicians elected to serve the masses act like they are gods and people ought to bow down to interact with them we have seen police slap people on behalf of their leaders.
I want to be able to call or email my representative with my problems or observations or solutions and then see actual shifts. I don’t want this bill to be another “Naija” situation where it’s all lip service and young people more creative in their corruption and than the older people come into power and blindside us.
I am being selfish because I want a Nigeria where we don’t all feel a knee-jerk reaction to run from. I am tired of looking like the only fool at the party when I say it’s going to be good in Nigeria and everyone looks at me like I am Rapunzel who that just left the tower. 

This is a step in the right direction and besides nicer looking and better-groomed people in power I want this to mean something so badly I am holding my breath.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

How Old Is Old Enough: Marriage

I have been writing this post for weeks, one reason being that I have to earn a living the other that I had momentarily lost my Mojo (juice). Being the deep 21st century individual that I am (Thank you, Thank you), I made an attempt to research for this post. I typed into google "when is the right time to get married" and the top two search results were kinda funny. One was from  Nairaland the other from the UK Independent. The Nairaland one said that its about 18 onward. The UK Independent one based its write up on the results of some scientific research which said about 28 to 32. Wiki How even has an 11 step process.                                    When can anyone really say they are ready for marriage? is it when you have been with the same man for a long time or when you think your biological clock is ticking or when other people tell you that you are ready for marriage....