Skip to main content

Is It Not Yet Time?


                              Image result for cartoon Clocks
"Is it not yet time?" the Aunty asks Ify as they stood there looking at the newly minted husband and wife as they walked down the aisle...

She laughed and walked away.

Fast forward to a few years later,
"Is it not yet time?" her uncle asks as she looks at her new husband in confusion. He reiterates, more forceful this time "is it not yet time for you and Oga to concentrate and give us grandchildren? I hope the pregnancy has entered oh?”

She proceeds to politely walk away, dragging her husband by the hands to refrain from saying anything rude about silly questions and assholes.

Fast forward a few years later one baby successfully birthed going on 4 years.
"Is it not yet time for number 2?" her husband’s annoying co-worker who fancies himself a close family friend says with so much superiority as they both sit and watch their kids play.

The questions keep coming. Is it not yet time?

This is a question you will hear as our neighbours, family and friends quietly drive you towards achieving goals they have set for you in their minds, refusing  to mind their own businesses to point out to you what the perceive as a waste of your own time.

Is it not yet time to get married? Did you give her or him a sensible wife/husband and they told you they didn't want? What sort of silly insulting question is that? I once heard a young woman being asked this question tell the older woman "if you give me the address to the market where I can go and buy a husband I will go."

You manage to find the husband and marry him. You cannot drink water and drop your cup in peace till some well meaning relative starts making small comments about how your lack/excess of sleep affects trying to conceive or asking you if it's not yet time to have children.

When you finally manage to cross that hurdle by God's grace, fear let you wait more that 1 year then maybe you will be fortunate enough for co-worker to start  asking you silly questions or running their hands on your tummy and asking if it's not yet time for number 2, Don't you want more kids?

When will it be time for people to mind their business? The amount of “is it not yet time” questions you have to fend off in this country on a daily basis are amazing. Sometimes it's insulting and not their business, most times, it is just plain  rude.

People need to understand that there is nothing you want to say to a single girl or guy (in some cases) that they don't already know. If Marriage is in their plans and they want it, you best believe they think about it much more than you do.

Also a couple have been married for long enough and wants kids it’s best you understand that it’s something they are trying very hard at. Your questions and reminders, subtle and other wise, are not helping anyone, they are not driving them closer to their goal, you’re just making them aware of how far from it they are.

Is it not yet time?


That you learn to keep quiet and do something productive like pray for them? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

How Old Is Old Enough: Marriage

I have been writing this post for weeks, one reason being that I have to earn a living the other that I had momentarily lost my Mojo (juice). Being the deep 21st century individual that I am (Thank you, Thank you), I made an attempt to research for this post. I typed into google "when is the right time to get married" and the top two search results were kinda funny. One was from  Nairaland the other from the UK Independent. The Nairaland one said that its about 18 onward. The UK Independent one based its write up on the results of some scientific research which said about 28 to 32. Wiki How even has an 11 step process.                                    When can anyone really say they are ready for marriage? is it when you have been with the same man for a long time or when you think your biological clock is ticking or when other people tell you that you are ready for marriage....