Skip to main content

Woman March 2: Ashewo

   Image result for a girls back cartoon

She stared down at her shoes, her heart thumping. She didn't want to go inside; she knew everybody had seen the picture Luke took of her. No one said it to her face, but she knew in their hearts, they called her Ashewo.

Such a disgusting name.

She wasn't ashamed of what she did with him; she was just ashamed that it he hadn't kept silent. 

She was not a bad girl; she didn't sleep with men for money, material things or favours. She just let her body and feelings take control and spent one night with a boy she really liked and had a crush on, thinking he was matured. He took pictures without her knowledge or consent and he showed his boys her picture, now she was the girl that was called ‘Ashewo’ in quiet places.

She was not the first girl this was happening to; even the girls that slept with married men were calling her names. Like her Aunty said "no be who dey do bad thing, na who carry belle" She tried not to be shamed for something she did with another person and he gets to ridicule her and gets to walk away with no cares.

She wasn't going to let people chase her from here. She will wear her "scarlet A" with as much pride as she could muster.

At the turn of the New Year, I read a Facebook status that said "If Ashewo is still the only abuse you can come up with for me, You lack imagination. So please think of something new for me for the new year," 

I like those words.


There are very few Nigerian women that have not been called Ashewo in one form or another from Akunakuna, Whore, slut  and all its synonyms in popular slang, English or local dialect.


Who is a slut anyway?

dictionary.cambridge.org defines this word as "a woman who has sexual relationships with a lot of men without any emotional involvement"

My thoughts are how come we don't have a male version because most men are sluts if you replace woman with man.

People tend to use a women's sexuality as thing to keep her in line. Be like this but don't be like; Be sexy but not sexual. This so that, by the time they shout Slut or Ashawo you are meant to go back home and think about your life. The irony of this whole thing is that the Women who are actually prostitutes (because in this case and in most cases these words are interchangeable) in one way shape or form don't even care what you call them, they embrace their work with pride. It’s their means of livelihood. 


Why have we given these names such power? Used it to control women and keep them in line. When will we stop seeing women as the space between their legs and as full humans with something more to provide?


Take for instance the way this prostitute word follows popular women if you are successful and people don't like it and feel threatened, if your money is too much, the next thing you hear is people inferring how you have slept with this and that so that you can buy your car, build your house, get that contract or rise quickly in your organization.

A society where grown women are advised not to buy a car or a house so people don't think you slept around for your money. They advise you that these chase away potential suitors.

For us women; we need to understand that we do not need to see ourselves as sexual objects. You do not need sexual attention constantly to make yourself whole. You are whole because of you, that is your factory setting.

Whole, functional Human Being with dreams and aspirations, goals and being successful in any endeavour you undertake.

Don’t think of yourself as an object of commercial value or pleasure. You do not need others to treat you as a sexual object, so have some kind of power so you  then claim you are free. It is your body, your temple. Treat it accordingly. So do not take it when someone calls you Ashewo. You are no Slut.

If they say it, ask them if the sex wasn’t a two way street, if they paid money to sleep with you and always remind them that they are still boys and need to grow up as you have realised your error in thinking you were dealing with a man.

You are nobody's toy.


💛💓


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Offence Collector

Collector: I know she was talking about me, I didn't hear her say my name in the conversation but she said something and I knew it was me. People are rubbish, friends are disloyal. She will soon come to my table and smile and act like we are friends, but she spends all her time talking about me then they will say I am always angry. In fact I am not angry; I will just treat her in this office like she is a fly. Giver: Why is she upset now. What have I done again. She is acting like I don't exist but I can see her going out of her way to make me know she is ignoring me. Oh well... Collector: He knew I wanted him to keep it here. What kind of person looks at you when you are talking and doesn't hear what you are saying? That's how he is... that's how last year the same thing happened. How am I expected to be happy and normal in this house with someone who doesn't listen. He says he honestly forgot but isn't that what they all say? Giver: Ho...

Let's talk about SEX

I have been on twitter since I woke up. I am currently on holiday so I have the time :) there is a conversation about rape and rape culture is Nigeria but I will go unto that later. Now though I want to talk about one of the 7 wonders of the World: Sex. Good for you if you think it is and wait and see if you think it isn't LOL. Sex has always had a different sort of connotation in our country always so shrouded in mystery. People don't talk about it, if you talk about it you are bad. First of all let's note that I do not write any blog post that I will not be proud of my daughter reading one day. so I am going to write this post as I will want my child to understand it. What we need in this world now is not more articles telling us how to have sex, LOL these are useful but somehow, we kind of find that out on our own. What we need are real articles telling us about the ramifications and emotional entanglements of the entire glorious affair, and more reason why...

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...