Skip to main content

The Struggle is Real


                                



Ladies and gentlemen, let's say hello to the struggle of today. I cannot believe some of the things I am seeing and hearing. To be honest I had my post for today already sorted out, but my mind cannot allow me post any other thing. Yesterday we heard that they are increasing the price of petrol. Confusion no gree me even talk sef, I said to myself  'let me sleep and wake up then I can discuss this'.  I miss going home for my mother to cook for me. I miss somebody else worrying about all these things but that's the price of being grown. I appreciate my parents 1000 times more everyday what they have had to put up with to get me to  be where I am today.

                      

I went to the market to buy tomatoes the other day and a basket that used to be between 500 to 800 Naira was now 2500. The seller actually laughed in my face when I told him I will pay him 1500 with my usual market woman pizzazz. He proceeded to laugh in my face told me to shift so he can pour his water. Now petrol is 145 a liter when I heard this I was like okay so 145 that's how much we buy from the black market people now, but after I had time to sleep I am just thinking about the reaction of the market man when I attempt to bargain with him for the tomatoes, he will pour the water on me.

 Here is my argument currently we can barely afford basic necessities , not people like you and I who have small hope at least money is going to come in at month's end no matter how small, but Nigerians who were struggling before this times hit, now stuff is getting worse. Petrol  is such a major commodity in this country, its gives us electricity gets us from place to place. So does it mean now that we will not have to queue for petrol, does it mean that there will be electricity so we worry about petrol only for our cars, does it mean that all other things will be held equal (like the economist say) so that petrol can just be 145.
It's something to think about. Say you earn 50k a month and you spend about 20k to get yourself to work, now that the driver is paying so much more for fuel how much do you reckon you will be adding to your transportation costs?

                 

I was asking a friend the other day how is it that we are buying locally produced chicken at the same price as chicken that is imported, you will think that something that has duties and taxes attached to it should cost more than something that was produced in my backyard. The cost of doing business especially production/manufacturing of any kind is so high already in this country and from the looks of it will just get higher so we can't really blame the Nigerian Producer, the prices of equipment, the cost of transportation alone all that stuff adds up. I don't really know how this will affect the buy Nigerian movement but it's not really looking good.

While I have tried to stay positive its quite daunting an it helps to share so I am sharing.. This is my contribution to the mourning and groaning that has become part of the Nigerian daily diet.
So for those people who are calling Bros up to hit him up for cash, this struggle is everywhere, i believe the more you have the higher you struggle, a bigger gen to fuel, to cars to maintain, kids to care for etc. Now every Mallam go mind him kettle cause we are all in this together. 
All this aside, I still emphasis that if you do have to give there are people out there whose situations are way way worse than ours so lets not forget to be gracious and generous no matter how bad things are. 

Quick note if you were wondering if that boy loves you or he is trying to get in you pants ask him to pick you after work, if he loves you he will probably tell you he is buying petrol or he doesn't have if he wants to get in your pant he will pick you up. You're welcome.

xo



Picture credits


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

An Ode to Men

                                                   I love Men, yep you read right, however, lately the guys have been getting the short end of the stick. While sometimes this happens for balance, we sometimes punish them very unfairly. It's unfair because some men now are more for equality that even the women I mean if it means they can enjoy a free ride why the heck not? but that's not what this is about. This post is to remind us why we still love them. Just a short ride down memory lane: Some of my earliest memories as a child are of my eldest brother; how he used to go to the room and hide with me when the cartoon "animal crackers" came on. Nothing scared me like animal crackers and while he wasn't scared of animal crackers, he just knew I was afraid so he will take me to the room to hide while he watched the door to make sure that no monste...

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...