Skip to main content

My Not So Imaginary Friend

I want to tackle an important issue here. I am not a scientist so if you expect empirical evidence then you have come to the wrong place. I am a well educated person, I read a whole lot but I still believe in the existence of God.
Yes that's what this post is about. Whether or not God is real is an existential question for most people, where did we come from and all that, most people strongly refuse to believe because they think that if there is a God then all this science we see will not be, but I believe that science can only exist because there is a higher power that sets the stage, that allows for all to happen.

I was reading this passage from the book of Romans chapter one verse 20. I am  not here to preach so don't hang me just yet; but of course if I am going to talk about God I am going to talk about the bible so bear with me. This verse talks about how the evidence of Gods existence being around from the beginning of time and available for all to see, so that we have no excuse.
Like I read form our daily bread on the 14th of June the devotional reading that inspired this post; even the human conscience, the part of your mind that has that basic courtesy the gives us that sense of right and wrong shows that we are empowered by a force much bigger than ourselves.
There are various reasons people set as their reason for not believing in God and I will try to discuss those I can think about:

The most predominant reason you hear for the fact that God is not real is that if there is a God how will he allow all the bad things that happen in the World happen? but we forget that the only way that serving a supreme being will make any sense if we do it of our own accord. Freewill is one of the things God gives to every human being  and because of this freewill, man is allowed to do all the things that man wants to do. We can choose to go to war, murder our family, lie, rape, steal and the worst damage that has been done to this world is because of man's own evil. Natural disaster? If God created this planet by setting in motion all the things that science has proven to us created all life, then he also allowed that formation to evolve, just like man evolves and grows so does the earth all the things that cause change destroy and create life. I can't explain all these things but I can tell you that this is our world, he is our God and like i heard in a movie long ago on the Hallmark Channel, "The evidence of Gods love is not that we will never go through the fire, but that when we do go through it, he will carry us through", we will not be destroyed by our hardships but stronger for them.

Like I once heard  Joyce Meyer say on one of her podcasts, if it didn't require for us to change our lives how many more people will believe in God, how many will accept his existence in everything around them. Most people refuse to believe in God because they will have to change who they are fundamentally.

A long time ago I watched a Youtube video that made fun of Christians (mind you atheist have a greater problem with Christians that with any other religion) one of their points was that you will notice that the countries with the highest poverty and death rates have the most Christians in them. That these countries have higher corruptions levels than the more developed countries with a higher number of atheist. This is probably true. Take Nigeria for instance, we are sooooo religious then on the flip side we are so evil to ourselves, we cheat and do all sorts of things. Christianity is not a religion for the perfect how ever, its a religion for the broken, so the more broken we are the more we offer to a power greater than we are to make up the difference. I will not begin to explain the evil we do in the name of God, but i will say that we are men. It's the way of men to try to manipulate it's true, but this does not mean that because someone calls themselves a child of God they will automatically be good, it is true that the name of God has been used to steal manipulate and control but  they have to work with what they believe in , basically people who strive to live as Christians Work against our very own nature of selfishness and destruction to be different people. perfection is probably not attained but it the journey that is Christianity or serving God.


I believe in God because all the wonderful things in my life have been orchestrated by a power larger than me, a power that I hold dear, that exists to make me the awesome person that I am. I believe that God is not just a friend I have imagined or that has been forced on me by my upbringing but he is a real friend that I have experienced in my relationships with other people, myself and my family and in the way someone so broken has been able to draw on a power bigger than them to make it through the hardest times in their lives, like loss or addiction. 

I have hope I have but its possible that i may not have been able to explain why i believe in God, but nonetheless i hope i have given you some kind of perspective as to where we (who have this not so imaginary friend) are coming from, why we believe so strongly and hold on so tightly to a friend you think is imaginary. This is who we are, this is what we believe. 

I am one of those people who believes in the phrase to each his own ; give Christians a break. Give people and their their supreme beings a break. Let us believe in our God and serve him as we like as we are meant to.

This post  is dedicated to all the people who have been persecuted here in Nigeria or other places in the world in the Name of God, or because they Believe in God. May the source of all strength give you the power to persevere and get peace in this life and the next.
XOXO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Is Trying To Kill Me

This post is inspired by a chapter in an audio book I listened to sometime ago and I decided to write my own version of how technology is planning to kill me.                 Picture 1 The other day I was carrying my daughter who is 2 now. Big little woman. She was restless in my arms but won't let me put her down unfortunately, I happened to also be holding my phone. At some point I felt the phone slip, for a split second I considered dropping my darling baby who I nearly tore down heaven's gate for to save my phone that was basically an after thought during one of the husband's excited moments.  Of course I held onto my daughter but I won't stay here and lie to you that I didn't think about instantly dropping her without warning.  I don't even remember when it happened that I started loving this device so much. I can't even remember the last time I had an emotion or thought that I felt something epic and didn't feel the...

An Ode to Men

                                                   I love Men, yep you read right, however, lately the guys have been getting the short end of the stick. While sometimes this happens for balance, we sometimes punish them very unfairly. It's unfair because some men now are more for equality that even the women I mean if it means they can enjoy a free ride why the heck not? but that's not what this is about. This post is to remind us why we still love them. Just a short ride down memory lane: Some of my earliest memories as a child are of my eldest brother; how he used to go to the room and hide with me when the cartoon "animal crackers" came on. Nothing scared me like animal crackers and while he wasn't scared of animal crackers, he just knew I was afraid so he will take me to the room to hide while he watched the door to make sure that no monste...

To Spank or Not To Spank.

  This is a late Mother's day post. Lately the  topic of spanking just pops up  everywhere. If you don't believe me just type spanking and child on google. Where ever there are parents people are airing their views on whether or not to spank their kids. Lately the trend is shifting away from spanking even though the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. Some people argue that the bible didn't mean the rod literally  just a form of correction. Personally I believe in the rod. It  can take any form, the hand, the slippers, sometimes the spoon in your hand or even a pinch... lol. But I believe  in the rod. Most Nigerian mothers believe in spanking too. It's effective and straight to the point. Your disapproval is not left in contention. Some people believe though in negotiation. I don't see how rewarding a child for common sense is a good idea. In the long run won't it come back to bite your behind? Think about it "John if you stop sl...